Sunday, June 13, 2010

GOSH DARN IT!

Illumination. Experiment by Ruth Zachary.

 
Only a percentage of these experiments with layers of textures in Photoshop produce something worth while. If one thing is gorgeous by the end of one work session, I am usually satisfied. But I have tried several different approaches to the idea I wrote about on May 28th, and so far none have resulted in the “look” I was trying to achieve. Above is an example. It would make a greeting card, but the technique doesn't conform to my vision.
.
I believe I know why it doesn’t work. White seems to act as an opaque when layered in many modes, so often the white areas block out the layers underneath. In the modes which do not destroy transparency, it seems that the blacks and whites are inverted. I have not tried making different layers more transparent, and I will try that too, in my next trials, and share my results.
.
But in the mean time, I think I must work in color… using colored pens, and either colored pencils or water colors in my “drawn” illustrations for the realistic sections of my work. I will start small, with small sections only slightly larger than my eventual illustrations. If the edges are vignetted, (blended) they may be used in different configurations for future layering, I believe.
.
So, On to the next good thing! All this does take time, and so I'm not blogging as much lately.
.
.
Writing and imagery are the Copyright © of Ruth Zachary.

1 comment:

Joe Willy said...

What about selecting only the black line artwork and placing that on a top layer? This could even be set to "Hue" or "Color" or even be filled with a gradient or other color via layer options to achieve results closer to what you seek.