Friday, May 28, 2010

COMBINING ABSTRACTION WITH REALISTIC IMAGERY

.

Beginning a New Project Combining Abstraction and Realism.
.
Recently I decided to self-publish some of my poetry, and to illustrate it with about ten images.
.
For this project, I decided to continue with the abstract work I have been pursuing for the past year and a half, using the same process of layering different textures etc. over each other.
.
I have proceeded with this process to come up with about 35 different textured abstract images that imply an ethereal impression, which suggest figures, natural animals, insects, and other fanciful creatures to me. Using one such abstract “background” I plan to draw over it with layout paper, and create detailed scenes which these creatures inhabit.
.
The drawings will be in pen & ink, and colored pencil. They will be drawn in a montage style. Ideally they will emphasize areas which will balance the composition. Once the figurative drawings are scanned into the computer, they will be layered over the composition and treated in the same manner as the abstract work I have previously demonstrated on this blog.
.
The overall result I am hoping for is a combination of abstraction and figurative realistic work. Most likely, various selections will be cropped out of the larger image to make up the smaller size illustrations.
.
For the next few blog posts I plan to show the process in stages.
.

Writing and Imagery are the Copyright © of Ruth Zachary

 

1 comment:

Judith Angell Meyer said...

I'll be looking forward to watching the process, and seeing the finished book. It will be amazing!