Monday, January 31, 2011

BLENDING ABSTRACTION WITH REALISM


.
I have been planning to use abstract backgrounds to suggest detailed realistic drawings. After making the drawings, I plan to use the layering technique in Photoshop to integrate them into the background that stimulated them.
.
The reason for changing from total abstraction to semi-realism is that I plan to make a series of drawings to illustrate some poetry books I am compiling. Above, are butterfly shapes found in
the abstraction, and accentuated. This is only an example, and not really an illustration for a book. Illustrations need to be smaller and closer to the final page size in the book to avoid too much reduction of the image and to not lose too much detail.
.
The emphasis on putting the books together has caused a shift, so that I may not be blogging as often as I was from January through June 1, 2010.
 .
Since I wrote this,  in June of 2010, I learned that I can not keep up with as many blogs as I had before. I am entering posts from another blog to this one. At that time, I was working both on abstractions and on realism for different projects, reflected on two blogs. There was also a post on this blog, titled Gosh Darn It, where I was having trouble with a particular problem. 



THANK YOU:
Joe Willy, a follower on this blog, suggested I use a black drawing layer over the color, which was a great idea! Since I am now interested in returning to more recognizable imagery again, this may prove to be very helpful.
.
I  have since finished my first book of poems, The Woman Who Named Herself, described on another blog, rzwritestuff.blogspot.com, and hope to have more time for visual art again.
 
.
.
Writing and Images are the © Copyright of Ruth Zachary.

No comments: